Most visitors still need to apply for a Vietnamese visa in advance to enter the country. Vietnamese visa is inexpensive in comparision to any other countries' visa fees ranging from US$45 - 85 if application is sent directly to the Embassy or US$25-55 if your visa has been pre-approved. A fairly convenient visa on arrival process has recently been introduced, but this requires a pre-arranged application to Hanoi Immigration Department and is generally helpful to nationals of countries without Vietnamese embassies. Read our who need visa for the visa exemption information
Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung has given the nod to a new regulation allowing overseas Vietnamese and their families to enter Vietnam without visas as of September 1, and the visa exemption decision meets overseas Vietnamese aspirations.
5-day visa free: Many travelers emailed us about the The 5-day visa-free stay scheme which was announced in 2002 and it seems to have been wishful thinking, however, we have never heard it used. Visa tips:
1. Visa regulations are often changing, so check carefully before you are due to travel. Usually, it is possible to extend visas within Vietnam but not during the Party Congresses.
2. Visa extensions are often done with less than 1 week on your ongoing visa, and after 3 extensions, you must get a new visa. The fee is ranging from 18-35USD.
3. In case, you are exempted from visa to Vietnam, and want to stay longer than your allowed time, the fee is quite expensive (50-70USD), so keep in mind this when you plan your travel itinerary.
4. Please apply for a visa to Vietnam one or two weeks in advance to avoid unwanted troubles or urgent fee
All visitors to Laos require valid Passports and need to obtain the Laos visa. Despite being a strongly regulated country, Laos has relaxed some of its rules about getting the visa.
Primarily, all foreign visitors need to book the tours through a travel agent, and need to have a pre-approval letter from an authorized Laos agency/ The Laos Embassy will issue the visa only if the above mentioned letter was attached. Currently, the embassy/consulates in certain countries do not require this letter, but some may do.
Recently, Laos authority has intended to boost tourism and allow travelers to obtain visa stamp at their International Airport - Vientiane or at the overland border crossing points of Thai-Laos Friendship Bridge near Nongkai.
1. Holds return/onward ticket and all documents required for next destination,
2. Holds Certificate of Bank Statement (min. USD 400.-) or life insurance policy
3. Holds confirmed hotel reservation in Laos.
4. Pay visa stamp fees of USD 30 to the Immigration.
Visitors who will enter Laos through Huayxai -Chiangkong Border (Northern Thailand); through Dienbienphu, Cautreo, Namcan, Laobao border ( Vietnam) need to get the Laos visa stamp from the Laos Embassy before entry.
All Foreign Visitors are now able to obtain the Cambodia visa upon arrival at the airport. It is no longer necessary to get the visa stamp at the Cambodian Embassy before your visit. Just prepare the following documents:
A Passport Photocopy
1 photos (3 x 4 cm)
US$ 20 Cash for tourist visa fee (Paid directly to the Immigration)
The Cambodia Visa is issued officially at the following ports of entry:
Pochentong Airport in Phnompenh
Siemreap Airport (Angkor Wat Region)
Check the airfares and flight schedules here.
Travelers can travel to/from Cambodia by land through Aranyapathet-Poipet Border and Trat-Koh Kong Border of Thailand and Moc Bai - Bavet Border of Vietnam
Cambodia Visa Validity: 30 days from the date of issue, *NOT* from the date of entry.
Travelers who would like to prolong their stay in Cambodia may extend their visa at the Department of Immigration situated just opposite the Pochentong Airport. The visa may be extended for 30 days at the cost of USD 25.-
Some travelers have reported that the visa extension for another one month was no longer possible, since the middle of June 2000. If you expect to stay more than a month, better get a Business visa at one shot for USD 25 with three months validity.